Mobile apps have become essential for every event. In an earlier post we highlighted how mobile apps can boost at-venue engagement by over 77%, besides other benefits like last-minute changes, lead generation, attendee communication, marketing and sponsorship opportunities. But for event organizers to realize them it is equally important to promote the app.
More than half of event organizers face a challenge when it comes to promoting their apps. An app promotion strategy is required to trigger organic downloads. Our experience has shown that when at least 50% of your attendees download the app it will show tangible ROI for your event.
App promotion methods are subjective to type of your event. Below are some methods that have worked for us. Feel free to try them out and let us know how it works for you.
- App availability before event – Ensure apps are available in stores at least 2 weeks before your event.
- Email marketing about the app – Highlight app availability in every email communication – possibly in the signature. Do not forget to send out that big EDM blast about the features in the app !
- Signage across digital touchpoints – Promote your apps on website, social handles, partner sites, social campaigns with posts that provide the download link.
- Mandatory Staff downloads – Mandate on-site and off-site staff to download and use the. They can be the biggest promoters of the app during sales vists, registration/check-ins, partner signups.
- Incentivize attendees – Offer a discount on tickets or a gift-card draw sponsored by your partner to those who download by a specific date.
- Pre-event value creation – Using solutions like ours you can provide value for your attendees much before they arrive for the event like Attractions near-by, Speaker blogs/videos, Book transport and accommodations and many more
- Initiate In-app conversations – Push key announcements, simple messages, trivia and encourage attendees to respond by liking or commenting on public posts
- Reduce printed materials – Eliminating print would be ideal, but it can be a gradual phase out by giving attendees an option to choose print or get all information in-app.
- Word-of-mouth – Focus on unique value of an app like photo-sharing, personal schedules, get directions etc., that they can’t get with print. You can run an in-app campaign for co-creation of content.
- Speakers, Partners & Exhibitors – Create and show value of the app to them. Their adoption of app will multiply the effect on attendees. Sponsored content is a great way to get your partners interested in the app while creating more revenue for you.
- At-venue app signage – Put app details, QR codes on delegate kits, volunteer t-shirts, posters at key areas – entrance, registration desks.
- In-session promotions – Reminding attendees to rate sessions or post questions will encourage app usage and downloads during the event.
Do not just focus on creating an event app – focus on creating the experience around your event app. We would love to hear your app promotion stories and challenges. Do share them with us.
Drop us an email to [email protected]